Saturday, January 25, 2014

Of ramblings, clean slates, amazing experiences, and what lies ahead

It’s late.

Or early, I guess, depending on who you are.

The corner of my computer screen says 1/26/2014, which means I posted nothing in 2013 and that’s upsetting for many reasons.

So for the two of you that might read this, my sleeplessness is your reward, I guess.

But even if nobody reads this, I’m going to keep spewing all the sports in my head onto this canvas.

Also, one more quick note: Drake is a lyrical genius and the best going right now. Period.

I need baseball. I need it like a bird needs a worm. And I need it because January isn't the best sports month mostly because I couldn't care less about the NBA and Stars hockey only goes so far. I’ll take anything I can get at this point, so absolutely I’m counting down until pitchers and catchers.

Baseball in 2013 wasn't very good to me. I mean yes there were very high points, but overall, Meh.

I’ll start with the good.

My team played past 162. No matter what, that’s always a positive. I got to cross another stadium off my list, Chase Field, and that is awesome. July 29th, 30th, and 31st. That’s why I love sports. Days like those. Yu Darvish did very Yu Darvishy things and watching him throw a baseball is like watching a master craftsman construct an awe-inspiring masterpiece, and I’m so glad he’s on my freaking team. Chris Davis Longview What. Man what a year for him. I’ll always love him no matter what.

Now the bad, and buckle up because here comes the soapbox.

April 2nd. I wanted that one so incredibly bad, and man five hole sucks. Ian Kinsler isn't my team anymore. And that hurts down deep. Kitten Face isn't either, which is a different kind of hurt, but a hurt nonetheless. We couldn’t get past the playoff game to get into the playoff game, which feels like a huge disappointment. Maybe I shouldn’t feel that, but I do. The Nolan/Jackie Moore smear fest on my boy JD on the way out of town was bush league. Real baseball minds understand that even though yes Nolan is a Texas icon and a respectable businessman, there comes a time when it needs to be about progression and not living in the past. And with JD, Thad, AJ, Don and crew running the show, we may never see better front office guidance ever again. So that’s a negative and a positive I guess. How terrible did the Matt Garza deal turn out to be. I really hope this doesn’t turn into a Teixeira/Schuerholz situation, but I have a feeling it might, just go look at the second halfs that Olt, Grimm, Edwards, and Ramirez had, as well as what the guys over at Baseball Prospectus have to say about those four going forward. Speaking of bad trades with the Cubbies, go look at Christian Villanueva and Kyle Hendricks, the two we gave up for Ryan Dempster in 2012. Poised to go off this year or the next at the big league level. The cubs have seven or eight prospects in the top 100 for 2014, four of them came from Arlington in the last two years. Oy.

I could go on for hours so I’ll just leave it at that on 2013.

I’m actually going to talk about myself for a minute if you’ll indulge me.

2013 was a hell of a year for me.  I went to the PGA merchandise show as a representative of my program. I went to the Callaway Leadership conference as a representative of my program. I lived in Flagstaff, Arizona for 3 months on an internship. My sister committed to play softball in college and I could not be more proud. I met a softball player of my own, and she changed my life. My dad stayed healthy all year. I finally went a calendar year without the FLU! (knock on wood) Some people did get left in my past, but only so I could get close to my future. I got to watch my two sisters grow another year older, something I am not taking for granted, and I love those two to death, even when they drive me crazy. My parents supported me 1000% just like they always have, though I never expect that to change. I met some important people for my future, and hope to be laying the right inroads to becoming an amazing PGA Professional, changing the landscape of golf as best I can. I was elected Vice-President of the SHSU PGA Golf Management Program, which is just a testament that hard work and doing what you need to be doing is actually beneficial, and college is really about building a successful career, who would have thought? Sorry that was my jab at those who look down on me for not doing the whole “college” party thing, but I know where I’m going and there’s no changing that.

But that was last year, and it’s my job to make 2014 top that.

So here goes nothing.

I already have an internship for this summer, with the PGA of America, running their Junior Series all around the country, which I could not be more excited about, and on top of all that, one of my best friends in the world will be right there with me, because we both got hired believe it or not.

Creating happiness is easy with the right mindset, and this year is going to be a blast.

Going to 180 back to sports here for a bit and then shut up so I can go to sleep.

I’ll be nice to the Yankees since my lovely misguided girlfriend would shoot me if I wasn't, but this is what I have to say about them: They spent half a BILLION dollars on 4 players, and will finish 3rd or 4th in their division. Ouch. But it doesn’t matter because those fans will fill that stadium no matter what, just like cowboys fans.

As much as I was hurt by offseason moves, I’m so fired up for ranger baseball it’s unreal.  March 31st can’t come fast enough. This is the year, I’ve just got that feeling down deep that I can’t shake. Who knows. As long as it doesn’t end in Game 6 in Busch, I’ll be happy with another year of pouring every ounce I have into my team.

Jordan Spieth. Need I say more? Just wow. 5 wins including a major. Either the Masters or the US. May get his first of the year in about 16 hours.

Spieth, McDowell, Scott, Day are your 4 major winners this year, with McDowell at the PGA and the other 3 are a crapshoot.

Russell Wilson is my boy and I really want them to win Sunday. But how can you root against Peyton Manning? I don’t yet know who I’m rooting for, but the final score will be:  Broncos 34 Seahawks 20

Kershaw will win a Cy, as will Darvish.

Elvis Andrus should start the all star game. But no, it’ll be Jeter because people still live in the past and he’s a yankee and I swear people don’t know how to pull their heads out of where the sun don’t shine.

I’ll take JG24 in the 500 in a few weeks. Call it a hunch I guess.

I’ll be glued to any Olympic sport that’s not figure skating. Especially Hockey, where no country is any match for the Canadians.

And there’s not much sexier than a one-timer buried top shelf from the blue line. It’s on the list at least.

I hate the cowboys.

1000 Ballpark Way is going to be electric this year, that’s all I know.

That’s all for now.

If you read this and feel cheated out of a few minutes, I’m sorry.

If you read it and liked it, let me know.

Until next time.


-ctb



“Don’t count the days, make the days count.”

1 comment:

  1. Your internship sounds fantastic Cheyenne. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete